In addition to the default metrics available in Clockwork out-of-the-box, you are able to create custom metrics that can leverage financial and non-financial data to give you tailored insights into your business performance. To get started with building your custom metrics, you’ll want to go to your Metrics tool, click ‘Edit Metrics’ in the top right corner of your screen, then click ‘+ Add Custom Metric’.
Note: The ability to build custom metrics is only available to Admin and Employee users on Free Trials or Pro Plans
Using the Formula Builder to build your custom financial metrics
First, you’ll want to name your custom metric something unique at the top of the tile and choose the unit type from the top-right drop-down (#,$,%). Now, you’re ready to use the formula builder to create your custom metric.
Dream big! You can use your financial data in Clockwork, default metrics, and non-financial data (e.g. number of users, number of employees, number of leads, conversion rates, etc.) to weave variables together with arithmetic symbols (+, -, /, x) and get a comprehensive look at your business's performance.
There are 3 ways to add variables to your formula:
- Search underneath ‘Select Variables’
- Click the drop downs (Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow, or Custom Drivers) to scroll through your options.
- Type your desired variable into the formula builder
Organizing Your Metrics Dashboard
Now that you’ve created your metric, it will show up at the bottom of your metrics screen. While you’re in ‘Edit Metrics’ mode, each metric tile will show the options to:
1. ‘Hide’ - this will make it so they don’t show up on your dashboard
2. ‘Drag to move’ - this will allow you to organize your dashboard
3. ‘Edit’ - this only shows on Custom Metrics and will allow you to change the name, unit, or formula associated with your Custom Metric
The main goal is to remove and re-organize so you don't have distractions from what metrics matter most to your business!
To learn more about how Clockwork helps small businesses realize and work towards a better financial future, create your account to start a free 14-day trial (no credit card required). Connect your QuickBooks Online or Xero account to create your first financial model in minutes.